Agricultural Advisory Council
The Millstone Township Agricultural Advisory Council was created in January 2006 as an advisory council consisting of volunteers appointed by the Township Committee. The Agricultural Advisory Council meets in the Municipal Building located at 470 Stage Coach Road, Millstone Township, NJ 08510 on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 7:30 P.M. Please contact Andrew DeFelice at 732-446-4249, x 1601.
The powers and duties of the Council are as follows:
- To become fully aware of all land within the Township currently used for farming and/or agricultural related purposes by compiling and maintaining an inventory of farming and agricultural lands within the Township.
- To analyze how the Township can best protect the continuance and preservation of farmland within the Township
- To determine existing and future problems facing farmers and the farming community and to recommend reasonable and desirable solutions to the Township Committee
- To encourage and promote appropriate farming and agricultural related activities
- To encourage existing farmers to continue their farms in active operation
- To recommend to the Open Space and Farmland Preservation Council lands for farmland preservation
- To encourage and assist farmers and the farming community in making applications to farmland preservation programs, including applications to the County of Monmouth for planning incentive grants.
- To assist in minimizing conflicts between farming/agricultural uses and adjacent or nearby residential and commercial uses.
- To promote the Right to Farm Act (N.J.S.A. 4:1C-1 et seq.) including educating the community about the Act and assisting in mediating right to farm issues.
- To make an annual report to the Township Committee setting forth the activities and operations of the Council during the preceding year.
- To keep the Township Committee informed of developments in the farming community.
- To respond to any ordinances introduced by the Township Committee that may have an impact on the farming community
- To advise the Township Committee with respect to pending legislation at the county or state level which may impact on the farming community
- To keep the farming community informed of any municipal, county, or state legislation which may impact on the farming community
- To advise the Planning Board of its findings and recommendations on land use, land management, and farmland preservation.
- To perform such other tasks referred to it and as may be assigned to it by the Township Committee having to do with farming and agricultural related activities.
Farmland Preservation Plan
- Comprehensive Farmland Preservation Plan – December 16, 2020
- Comprehensive Farmland Preservation (29MB PDF)
- Talking Points on GSPT II
- Sinha Farm - 28 acres preserved in July 2006
- NJ Equine Clinic - 127 acres preserved in 1997
- CERES Newsletter February 2017
- Update on Soil and Water Conservation Cost-Share Grants
- SADC Policy-49 Application
- SADC Policy-49
- SADC Policy-49 Questions and Answers
- New Grant Funding for Deer Fencing on Preserved Farms
- Correction to New Grant funding for Deer Fencing on Preserved Farms Memo
- Spring 2023 Newsletter
- Fall/Winter 2020 Newsletter
- Fall/Winter 2019 Newsletter
- Spring 2019 Newsletter
- Fall 2018 Newsletter
- Spring 2018 Newsletter
- Fall 2017 Newsletter
- Spring 2017 Newsletter
Right to Farm
- Farmer-to-Farmer Advice for Avoiding Conflicts with Neighbors and Towns
- The New Jersey Right to Farm Program
- Right to Farm Act
- New Jersey Right to Farm Fact Sheet from the SADC
- NJ Right to Farm Fact Sheet from Rutgers Cooperative Extension
- The Right to Farm Guidebook
Motor Vehicle Regulations Impacting New Jersey Farmers
Animal Waste Management
- Animal Waste Management
- Animal Waste Declaration Page
- Animal Waste Management Rules
- Animal Waste Management Planner
Fire Department Permit Fees and Inspections for Farm Operations
- Ag Council News Bulletin: Fire Code Permit Fees & Inspections
- Life Hazard Use Classification & Farm Building Exemption
- NJ Uniform Fire Code Life Hazard Use Ordinance No. 10-30
Leasing Farmland in New Jersey
- Treatment of Equine Facilities in State Programs Designed to Protect Agriculture
- Manure Disposition/Processing Program
- Animal Cruelty Bill
- Disaster Preparedness for Horses
- Making Your Horse Barn Safe
- Plain Talk On Protecting Livestock
- NJ Livestock Farmer Survey
- A Delicate Balance
Outstanding Young Farmer Award
- Outstanding Young Farmer Award - To receive the support of the Agricultural Advisory Council, nomination forms can be submitted to Melissa Peerboom, Township of Millstone, 470 Stagecoach Road, Millstone, NJ 08510. Nominations can also be submitted directly to the NJ Department of Agriculture to the address on the form.
- Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Confirmed in Monmouth County Poultry Flock – May 18, 2022
- GROWING FRESH BABY GINGER IN MOVEABLE HIGH TUNNELS
- NJ Department of Agriculture: http://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/
- US Department of Agriculture: http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usdahome
- NJ Department of Environmental Protection: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/
- New Jersey Farm Bureau: http://njfb.org/
- New Jersey Farm Service Agency: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/stateoffapp?mystate=nj&area=home&subject=landing&topic=landing
- Natural Resource Conservation Service: http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/main/nj/programs/farmbill/
- Visit New Jersey Farms: http://www.visitnjfarms.org/
- Edible Jersey: http://ediblejersey.com/